Through practice, Iyengar yoga not only tones the body and improves posture and alignment, but will stimulate the circulation, aid the function of internal organs, and develop powers of concentration and help controlled breathing. The benefits of yoga are not just physical; as the techniques for relaxation and breath control are mastered, yoga will help control tension and calm the mind.
This book explains the origins and philosophy of Iyengar yoga, the most widely practiced form of yoga, giving advice on how to begin, when to practice and what equipment you will need. The yoga asanas have been specially chosen for beginners and intermediates and are clearly illustrated in a practical and easy-to-follow manner, with step-by-step guidance. The classic asanas are grouped into type for easy reference and graded by difficulty, with modified and more advanced variations to suit all levels of fitness and flexibility.
The chapter on sequences demonstrates a series of routines that will build up into a personalized daily and monthly practice plan. There are also sequences to follow for certain times and conditions of your life that will benefit illnesses and common problems, such as headaches, backache and arthritis.
Written and presented by Judy Smith, a highly experienced teacher, Iyengar Yoga combines expert guidance with over 500 specially commissioned inspirational and practical photographs to create the perfect yoga manual for all ages and abilities.
- A practical, easy-to-follow yoga course, with stage-by-stage visual guidance and postures especially chosen for beginners and intermediates
- Learn how to tone the muscles, acquire suppleness, stimulate the circulation, improve posture and benefit overall health
- Use this expert book to build up your yoga sequences over time, with therapy sessions for problem areas
- Calm the mind, increase concentration and relieve stress with the beneficial powers of yoga
- Shows over 100 yoga sequences in step-by-step detail, in more than 500 specially commissioned colour photographs
Judy teaches classes all over London, including a remedial class at the Iyengar Institute in London, classes at Triyoga in North London, and children’s classes. Having trained to a senior level, Judy regularly visits the mother institute in Pune, India, where she attends courses taught by B.K.S. Iyengar, his daughter Geeta, and his son, Prachant.
- Dimensions: 9¼” x 12″ inches
- Pages: 144
- Over 544 color photographs